VCU Jazz Composition Competition
Virginia Commonwealth University is hosting a Jazz Competition this fall for an unpublished jazz big band work by a high school student.
Over $7,000 in prizes!
- High School students only may enter. A signature of a high school official is required. Previous winners are ineligible.
- Instrumentation: 5 saxes (AATTB, doubles optional), 3-4 trumpets, 3-4 trombones, guitar and/or piano, plus bass and drums (vocals optional).
- Submissions required: legible score and parts (originals or copies), entry form, plus $10 entry fee (via check payable to "VCU Jazz Students Fund"; non-refundable). Limit one entry per person. ENTRY MATERIALS (scores, parts, recordings) WILL NOT BE RETURNED.
- Optional but highly recommended: live, studio, or synthesized demo CD (no cassettes).
- Submissions must be received by October 1.
- All works received are owned by the composers. VCU, however, retains the copies received and has permission to perform and (if applicable) record them.
- Though a quality demo CD is preferable, entries will be judged on the merits of the composition itself, not on the submitted performance or audio quality.
- Results will be announced by December 1. No winner need be chosen if the judges find that no entry merits the award.
- $4000 VCU scholarship ($1000 each of four years or $2000 x two years)
- $500 cash
- VCU Performance (and concert and/or studio recording of same)
- Assistance towards potential publication, broadcast, and other media contacts
- Complimentary prizes from external sponsors, including arranging texts, scores for study, and periodical subscriptions
- $2000 VCU scholarship ($500 each of four years or $1000 x two years)
- $250 cash
- VCU Performance (and concert recording of same)
- Complimentary prizes and assistance
Mail your required (and optional) Entry Materials, along with your Entry Form and $10 non-refundable Entry Fee (via check payable to "VCU Jazz Students Fund") to:
Prof. Antonio J. García, VCU Jazz
922 Park Avenue, Box 842004
Richmond VA 23284-2004
(Note that the Box number must be included.)
Download the brochure with entry form HERE.
Trouble downloading the .pdf? Click the logo to get the latest version of the Acrobat Reader. If you are still experiencing problems, try downloading the file to your computer first (right-click, "save as") and then open from there.
If none of the above techniques work for you, click here the following to download a simple image files of the brochure: page 1 | page 2
To learn about the outcome of the previous competitions, click here.
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.